Saturday, October 11, 2008

Boulder Series #2

This weekend I drove down to Boulder Colorado for the 2nd of the Boulder Series. This weekend was the first weekend with real cyclocross weather. It had rain throughout the night and continued into the day of the race. There was a high of 45 degrees(didn't really reach the high).

The course was a fun one. You started out on a road(isn't my favorite for the reason of all the power house roadies that are cat 2/1 that don't up grade really push it). The road was a gradual climb that ended with you having to jump a curb entering into a single track section that snaked. There was a log that you either had to jump(which I did everytime, which wasn't hard), dismount or wreck into(for some odd reason it seemed like ever other person did the last choice, and painfully). You rode over a wooden bridge that almost ate me(slippery like ice, you enter it from an off-camber slope) into more single track through the woods. Then the hardest part mentally, you snaked through a parking lot and crossed a field that had to be the most bumpy thing to have ever been ridden across(it was painful and long). Then comes the mud and crowds. We headed into a lower drainage field where you hit mud and lots of it. Everything from 6 inch mud holes to the slippery off-camber-everyone-eats-sh&t sections.

I started out in the third row due to them choosing to do call ups from the previous race which I DNF. I hit the single track section around 10th and held it for the first lap. I tried to move up in the single track sections but failed miserably. Riders were being extremely sketchy doing stupid things resulting in me not being able to pass.

Lap 2: I was still around 10th till I had to dismount in the muddiest section(which was ridable) due to people not being able to ride it(not sure why). From this point on I wasn't able to clip in. for any one that has tried to race one of these races knows how impossible it is to go fast without being clipped in. I regretably/frustratedly headed in the oppositedirection of the leaders. There wasn't much I could do. I even stopped on the pavement to try and clean my shoes and pedals, but with no luck.

Even though I finished mid pack I can't complain because I was just having fun riding the course. Yeah, no one likes loosing but at the same time I am still getting over a chest cold(I call it the lung disease) and don't want to push it.I have a feeling winter is coming upon us quickly this year. Stay warm, have fun and be safe as always.

J.

No comments: